Sunday, January 31, 2010

Books

I started this blog to catelog my try to read 100 books. While I have been reading alot up until this week I had only read one book this year, which I described in my first post. So here are a couple of books I finished this week. Both books are rereads, books I have read in the past.

(2) Love and Honor by Randall Wallace

This book follows a young cavalry officer from Virginia. He is on his way home to help with the coming troubles with England (The Revolutionary War), when he is recruited by Ben Franklin to instead travel to Russia to convince the Tsarina, Cathrine the Great, not to send mercenaries to the colonies. The book is a great story, it is well written, and thought provoking. I read this book about three years ago, I had completely forgotten about it until I found it in a box. I would recommend it to people who like to read historical fiction.

(3) The Bleachers by John Grisham

Grisham is best known for his legal thrillers. He has written a few books outside of this realm. I am not a fan of legal thrillers, I find them somewhat boring. Bleachers is a great book. I recommend it to every fan of football, former high school player, or coach. I first read this book on the recommendation of someone I consider a mentor, Kieth Green, a former teacher and current administrator where I went to high school. He said I should read this book so I did and I was rewarded.

Bleachers is the story of Neely Crenshaw a former high school All American quarterback. He returns home fifteen years after high school to stand vigil as his high school coach is dying. Eddie Rake is a legend in a small town, he puts the town on the map by winning at football. He is fired after an athelet dies of heat stroke during practice. Every night his former players gather on the bleachers to tell tales and pay homage to thier coach. Crenshaw says it best at the end of the book "Do I love Eddie Rake or do I hate him", because at different times he meant different things to his players.

I have reread this book four times, that is how much I enjoy it. I have leant it to people because I think it is that good. I would say that this is in my top ten books.

No comments:

Post a Comment