Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Apologies and some Education

I would first like to apologize, I promised I would not discuss politics. However, I must talk about the election yesterday. Scott Brown's win in Massachusetts is significant. First, it takes away the democrats domination of the Senate. Checks and balances are what makes this country great. It means that our leaders end up old men not stains on a wall. The filibuster is that important. It gives the minority party a chance to be heard. For those of you who don't know what a filibuster is: A filibuster is when a Senator holds the floor of the Senate, meaning they cannot do anything. With 60 Senators the Democrats could derail a filibuster. With 59 they cannot. The rules of the filibuster are the Senator cannot sit down and he or she cannot yield the floor. The record for a filibuster is 24 hours and 18 minutes by Strum Thurmond in 1957 when he tried to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1957. My big problem with how the filibuster is currently practiced is all a Senator has to do is threaten to do it. I think that they should make them actually do the talking. The second reason I like it is that our best legislation was made through bipartisanship. That is what we need no one party rubber stamping legislation.

Gus book of the night

A Cuddle for Little Duck by Claire Freedman and Caroline Pedler

I liked it, great rhyme patten and great story. Great pictures and illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment